Thursday, February 12, 2009

Cathedral vs. Every Day Use

I think that Cathedral and Every Day Use were two stories that had a lot in common, but were very different. They both captured the idea of a person who began ignorant and was changed by the end of a story. However, I think that in Cathedral, the change was more apparent and therefore I found it to be a more interesting story.
I liked that in Cathedral, the story revolved around the change rather than in Every Day Use where the story was told before and after the change in Dee's character; we never really got to see how or why she changed to appreciate her family. I liked that the blind man in Cathedral pushed the narrator into his realization and change in point of view. The narrator went from an ignorant person to an open-minded person, accepting the blind man.
In Every Day Use, the character Dee is described as being confident, almost conceited, and closed-minded about her family and background. In the beginning she didn't want to be associated with her family and where she came from. The reason I didn't like the story as much was because it was more about AFTER her change, instead of how she changed.

No comments: